Arts facility and events space, based in Bristol City Centre
Venue > The Island
- Location info – Show map
- Nelson Street, Bristol, BS1 2LE
- Opening times
- Monday to Friday: 10am – 10pm
- Weekends: 10am – 5pm
- Call: 0117 376 3457
- Email: email@example.com
See individual venues for features and hire rates.
Multi-use creative spaces
We are a studio complex, arts facility and events space, based in the Old Bridewell Police Station in Bristol city centre.
The Island is part of Artspace Lifespace. The charity recycles vacant, underused and problem properties into thriving creative resources. We host over 100 resident artists and boast a Circus Training Space, Dance Studio, artist studios, music studios, and a spacious art gallery.
We encourage people to wear masks in our buildings and ask that people do not visit if they feel unwell.
Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org for our full COVID safety measures.
Venues at The Island
The Dance Space runs a wide variety of classes and training sessions as well as being available for private hire.
Circus Training Space
The Island Circus Training Space offers many classes in circus-related disciplines, including silks, rope, aerial hoop, trapeze and acro yoga.
A beautiful large white and bright hireable gallery space with lantern ceiling and ancillary room located on the first floor of The Island.
The Island Venue
The licensed venue is available to host immersive performance, talks, exhibition and nightclub events.
Island Artist Studios
Work along side like minded creative people
- The Island – Way Back WhenEver wondered how Artspace Lifespace and The Island started in Bristol? Well now you get to delve further Invisible Circus: No Dress Rehearsal (Feature documentary by Naomi Smyth) was a massive four-year documentary undertaking. It was originally screened at The Brewery Theatre which is sadly now no more, but The Island is still going strong! […]
- Job Opportunities at The Island and Arts MansionWith great sadness, we announce that our wonderful centre manager Jane Hartoch is leaving the Island after 6 years of incarceration in the Old Bridewell Police Station. We are now seeking a new ISLAND CENTRE MANAGER. We are also looking for Duty Managers for The Arts Mansion. Flexible 3-10 hour shifts – £9.90 per hour. […]
- Covid-19 Update – April 22As of 1st April, free universal testing in England comes to an end. Check-in to venues ended in February of this year. Visit England’s Good to Go Industry standard is to close, In England, face coverings are no longer required by law. Most of the remaining Covid restrictions in the UK have ended. So the […]
- Artspace Lifespace, The Invisible Circus & Trinity Community Arts invest in the future of Stokes CroftInvisible Circus Directors and Artspace Lifespace founders Wim Penhaul and Doug Francis and Trinity Community Arts CEO Emma Harvey urge other arts organisations to get behind the campaign. The Invisible Circus, Artspace Lifespace and Trinity Community Arts have committed to buying £1000 of shares in the Stokes Croft Land Trust to support the purchase of […]
- New Beginnings at Ashton CourtArtspace Ashton Court welcomes an experimental new sculpture by artist Luke Jerram in the grounds of Ashton Court in Bristol. Situated beside the Courtyard Café of Ashton Court with stunning vistas over Bristol and the iconic Grade I listed mansion sits a giant wooden seed, a sculpture which will slowly be transformed by members of the […]